Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tutorial: DIY Ombré (Pic heavy)

Hey lovelies!
I've had lots of questions on how I ombré'd my hair, so I thought I'd do a tutorial on it. Before I started the process, I googled a TON of YouTube videos and other blogs on how exactly to lighten my hair without turning it orange, but even then, there was still a chance I could have turned out looking like Carrot top. But since I was only planning on bleaching the ends of my hair, I figured I could cut it off if the process went horribly wrong. Thankfully it didn't, and I'm really happy with the results.

I just wanted to mention that my hair was already dyed a medium brown shade and I had about 4-5 inches of re-growth at the roots, so I was already on my way to an ombré look.

***Disclaimer*** I'm not a hair stylist, I'm a medical student, so if you follow my instructions and your hair falls out/ turns orange/ turns green/ or is horribly damaged, please don't send me hate mail. I'm merely sharing how I went about the process with my own hair. Your hair might respond differently, and I HIGHLY recommend you do a test strand with the bleach before dying your own hair.

Supplies needed:
I purchased everything at Sally's Beauty Supply
* plastic mixing bowl
* brush to apply bleach
* blue powder bleach - I used Prism Lites
* 30 volume developer
* gloves to protect hands
* old t-shirt that will be ruined during the process


Step 1: Mix the entire package of powder bleach with 2oz of the developer


It should turn into a thick paste as seen above

Step 2: Part your hair how you normally wear it and apply the bleach to the ends of your hair using the brush. Start at the bottom of your hair and really saturate the strands before moving up. Drag some of the bleach further up certain strands so that you have a gradient effect vs a dip-dyed look.


You can see in the above picture that I brought the bleach up higher near my face as well as random strand all over my head.

Step 3: Let the bleach process. I kept it in for an hour because my hair is very stubborn.

Step 4: Wash out bleach (don't shampoo your hair!!!) and follow-up with conditioner.

Step 5: Dry hair to see the outcome



While I was happy with the results, I felt it still looked a little brassy. So I waited a week, and purchased an Ash blonde hair dye to counteract some of the orange tones. 


This is the one I used, but you can use any brand you like. Just make sure that it says "Ash" in the color as it will counteract the brassiness.



This is the final result!! The hair dye got rid of almost all the orange tones and I was left with the perfect blonde ends.

This process did dry out my ends, so I've been deep conditioning my hair twice a week with coconut oil. But I haven't experienced any breakage and my hair still looks relatively healthy.

Good luck to those of you who decide to try this look out yourselves! Let me know how it turns out in the comments section below!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...